Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Pieces are cut...

As I said before, I was going to go to the Home Depot to purchase the wood and have it cut. The idea was to get plywood, as the book had suggested, however I have read many places that this stuff called MDF can be used as well. It's less expensive than plywood and cleaner, whereas plywood just looks messy. I decided to get the MDF.

Sadly, Home Depot cannot do cuts less than 12 inches and unfortunately I had a lot. They walked me over to the hand tools section and suggested I buy a handheld jigsaw. It wasn't expensive, either.


The thought of using this thing terrified me, not that I would hurt myself but that I wouldn't get straight cuts. Now, I am a part time jeweler and I know my way around precision cuts and a jewelers saw, but I haven't touched power tools since the 8th grade...
In case you were wondering where you can get this tool, here you go.

Alright, 1/4"  and 1/2" MDF boards (4 in all measuring 2 by 4 feet), 1 square inch rod and a random handful of small square rods for the interior and exterior walls, a yardstick, wood glue and power tools.

Once home I drew up the pieces on the MDF boards. Did I mention I had to go to the home depot twice because I only bought one board the first time? Sorry you can't see the details, but you get the idea.



First off, I want to mention I live in an apartment, and for fear of "getting into trouble" sawing wood on my patio or out front, I did it in my dining room. Yes, my dining room. And that's why I will not be posting any picture of that. I had no problems other than a messy floor, but I do not recommend it.
It wasn't too loud, but it attracted random kids that were looking into our window! That's embarrassing! 
The jigsaw did the job, but not very well at all. I'm sure it was me, though. What I was left with was a bunch of pieces that were so jagged and messed up there was no way I could use them. So I took the pieces to my jewelers desk and luckily the jewelers saw I had came with a blade with large enough teeth to cut wood which I had set aside thinking I would never use it. Lo and behold! This stuff slices like butter and I severely regret that I didn't just cut it all by hand to begin with. It would take a lot more effort but at least I would get precision cuts.


There are many more pieces, these are just the ones I doctored up with the jewelers saw. And if you think you couldn't handle a jewelers saw, well, it's a lot easier than working with power tools, you are in full control and IF you cut yourself it's minimal. You can buy them for less than $20.
And that's all for now until I finish up the other pieces. Next I will be assembling the pieces.



No comments:

Post a Comment